Basics of Raising Backyard Poultry & Water Fowl - Virtual Class
Time & Location
Raising chickens is becoming increasingly popular with urban and small farmers, homesteaders and others. More and more people are discovering there really is a difference in taste, not to mention the health benefits of pasture raised chickens for meat and eggs compared to those raised in large confined commercial operations. Learn almost everything you'll need to know about raising chickens on a small to medium scale while also learning about poultry processing options. Bring questions!
Topics will include:
- Intro to poultry; breeds of chickens, ducks and game birds. Pure breeds vs. crossbreeds etc. Learn what breeds are best for egg production, meat or show.
- Feed rations, supplements, winter rations vs summer rations.
- Diseases, internal and external parasites, how to prevent, treat and maintain your birds.
- Housing; what buildings are best for where you live, ideas on how to make your coop. Tips and tricks for keeping out predators, rodents and wild birds. The best placements for your roosts, nesting boxes, water and feeders.
- Brooding chicks; incubator or hen? Incubation, humidity, candling and hatching.
- Raising teen aged chicks, medicated feed Vs organic feed, homemade rations, vitamin supplements, lights.
- The proper handling of chickens and chicks. Handling, washing, grading and packaging eggs.
- Breeding for show or personal birds, avoiding inbreeding, basic intro into genetics and feather patterns.
- How to process your poultry (final hour of the day).
Class is $40.
- Basics of Raising Poultry$40$400$0